Yea for Lungs
That is the sentiment that you'll want to give me when I get The Call that there's a donor. There will be well wishes, prayers, and hopes for all the good things on this new horizon that I don't have today: watching the rest of you run your half marathons (I mean, I'm excited to be *able* to run, I just don't plan on doing much of it); sprinting from ride to ride at Disneyland with the kids; walking carefree through Nordstrom; taking up tennis, etc. And these are all wonderful thoughts to share with me. They reflect the love and hope of everyone out there that I will be rid of this horrible disease, Pulmonary Hypertension, and can start planning for a bright future.
But I am a little consumed of late with that time between
The Call and the eventual hike with my family to Snoqualmie Falls. What exactly happens during that period is
unknown but we do know I need to get much, much worse before I get better.
And it's not this current gradual worsening of my PH that
I'm worried about. It's the clock that
starts ticking when the anesthesiologist puts the mask on me and the surgeon
readies his knife to make the incision that will enter at one armpit and go all
the way under my breasts until it reaches the other armpit. My sternum will be
broken and I'll be torn apart like a car hood.
Two tubes will be inserted near my heart then my heart will be stopped
with cold potassium as a heart-lung bypass machine takes over the job of
filtering and moving my blood around my body.
My heart will not beat again for many hours.
My sickened lungs will be removed, new pink lungs put in
and while the surgeon reattaches as much as they need to, it's impossible to
reattach all the tiny vessels that bound themselves to my old lungs.
They will restart my heart. We hope that, despite the trauma of this
surgery and the accumulation of the last six years of heart strain/failure,
when I am taken off the bypass machine, my heart responds with resolve and not
resignation. Taking that first breath is
huge but that's only one piece of this broken puzzle -- every part of my body
will have gone through a trauma and other organs are precarious as my body
tries to right itself.
Mercifully, I will be sedated as long as I need to be
while my organs get their shit in order and the risk of immediate rejection is
past. That is not the case for you guys and it's going to be a harrowing road as
all you can do is wait and try to understand the medical jargon flying
around. Even if I have a perfect
transplant with no complications (which is seemingly unheard of), it's
reasonable to expect at least 24 hours before my ventilator is removed. I'll have tubes in my neck, my arms, chest
draining tubes, a bladder catheter, epidural catheter. It will be impossibly difficult for Scot and
my mom as they try to keep spirits high, expectations reasonable and put on an
optimistic face for others, especially the kids.
When I finally come to, my goal is to get moving as much
as I can and manage my pain. Scot and
mom will be on hand to learn the new life routine at home -- I'll be sent home
on as many as 20 different medications a day, all with different instructions
(some are three times a day, some every 12 hours, some with food, some on an
empty stomach). Every morning for the
rest of my life, I'll wake up and measure my weight, pulse, blood pressure,
temperature and breathing. I can expect
to have some rejection and/or infection episodes, especially in the first six
months after transplant.
Much of this "woe is me" stems from
my PH progression of late but it's acutely due to my friend Katie, who had a lung
transplant last Friday. She's a
remarkable inspiration and we have shared a dry sense of humor and frequent
frustration about having PH for the past four+ years and it's incredibly
difficult to be on the sidelines as she's fighting for her life. So, yes, a huge "yea for lungs!" and
the belief that Katie will be the best lung transplant patient ever. But, oh, that there were a fast forward
button for times like these.
Comments