A Change of Season
Ah, September…crisp fall mornings…yellow school buses…leaves
turning brilliant reds and yellows and then falling…reestablishing family
routines...political signs in yards…and for me, getting back into lung transplantation mode. I kind of took the summer off from worrying
about the when and how and I backed away from my necessary hounding of doctors
to get things done. I had a blip last month and in addition to all my meds, I’ve added more. You say you need a review of my meds? Why, I’m happy to oblige!
·
I’m on three Pulmonary Hypertension targeted therapies,
once of which is an IV medicine (yes, that's a picture or two of me on the drug's website) so I have a central catheter in my chest that’s
attached to an infusion pump I have on my person 24/7. The other 2 are oral
pills. All are designed to help open up
the blood vessels in my lungs to make it easier for the right side of my heart
to pump blood through my lungs to get it oxygenated. All have various side effects (an aside about
my side effects: the most prominent side effect is common among us PHers, which
is a tan or reddish hue to the skin. I’m
lucky because I look tan, which VERY ironically gives me a pretty healthy
look. But people comment on my tan ALL
THE TIME. It’s passable in September but
come February, I’m going to be eyed suspiciously, like I’m always coming back
from an exotic cruise or (gasp!) a tanning bed user. This may be the only thing I’ll miss about PH
after I get my new lungs.).
·
I’m on three diuretics. Because my heart is struggling to move
oxygenated blood through my body, I have a tendency to quickly pile on water
weight which is very bad (the kidneys see the low blood flow coming through
them and send out the signal that I need to hold on to any and all extra
fluid). We just added the third heavy
duty diuretic last month and I take it every other day as needed (when I’ve put
on 2-3 lbs overnight).
·
I’m on blood thinners, potassium supplements,
anti-diarrheal meds (the flip side of the awesome tan side effect), sleep
aids. I have a list of do not eat/drink
food and herbs and over the counter meds that I have to pay close attention to. And also starting last month, I’m now hooked
up at night to an oxygen concentrator. I’m
still adjusting to sleeping attached to yet another device and having the
cannula in my nose and wrapped over my ears isn’t the best thing in the world
but hopefully it’s helping my heart from having to work too hard as I sleep.
So that brings us to today, where I had my 3-month check
up with Dr. Edelman, my transplant pulmonologist at UW. He is going to start the exception process
over again, since now I’ve added a new medicine, supplemental oxygen, and last month’s
6-minute walk test was the worst ever – obvious signs my disease is progressing,
even though today, I’m feeling pretty good.
One my of test results from my Right Heart Catheterization back in June
should’ve triggered an automatic exception so he won’t let up this time and if
they deny the exception, there’s an appeal process that includes a request for
a teleconference between UNOS physicians and the UW team so they can get on the
same page. If the exception is still
denied after that, I may have to repeat my Right Heart Catheter test.
As of today, I’m number 43 on the waiting list of 52
people waiting for either a single or double lung transplant. If granted, the exception would propel me to
the 90th percentile of that list where the waiting time can be very
short. I’ll keep you updated on this
process…and in the meantime, I’ll update my emergency contact list so it’s
current and look forward to enjoying all the other sights and smells of early
fall.
Comments