Roller Coaster-Induced Nausea...Way Better Than The Migraine-Induced Kind
Last weekend, I was all fired up to write a blog post…but
then, my computer went kaput so that put a damper on things. And aside: I
know many of you think I married Scot for his keen wit, his loving sensitivity,
his ability to express his emotions…but no.
The truth is out: I married him for his computer prowess. Seriously, how do you people DO IT, those of
you without a honey (or at least a close family member) to assess the severity
of the problem, grab a kid (with the promise of a hot dog) and head down to
Fry’s and buy a new computer then proceed to transfer all the data from one
computer to the other? Put one more item
down on my gratitude list.
The reason I was fired up was because I had just come
home from a 5-day vacation with the kids and Jen and her two kids and I rocked
it. Raaaaaahhhhhked it. We went to Silverwood Theme Park resort in
Idaho – a 5 ½ hour drive away. The last
theme park I did was Disneyland in 2008 and back then, we rented an electric
scooter for me so the long days weren’t bad – and we also had a ton of family present to provide back up if we needed it.
So being just the two moms and four kids was a little
nerve-wracking: where would the daddy-voice be when we needed it? What if all 4 kids wanted to do different
things? HOW WERE WE GOING TO GET TIME
TOGETHER ON THE LAZY RIVER?
But a bigger deal for me was all the energy this was
going to require of my 8-months out from transplant body. Three full days at a theme park with no
break (plus two long days in the car with "are we there yet?" erupting constantly)? And one of those days on the
water park side, with all the germs that reside in those kid-infested pools? And what if one of my migraines hit? I mean, Jen is one of the most awesome and
capable people I know…but four kids on her own at an amusement park?
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
I am thrilled to report that we made it – not just alive
but happy! There was successful fighting
off of the migraines (which only required a little extra sleep on my part, not
too much of an inconvenience, other than Jen having to get the kids breakfast
in them). And it was almost a relief
when the kids had tantrums and/or nausea after a ride – it meant that I would
sit with them until they settled down.
Yea for problem children!
As far as other happenings, we have only a week and a
half left of the kids’ summer vacation.
I’m really looking forward to establishing our back-to-school routines
and already, with the beginning of soccer practices this month, it’s been notable
how different things are for me this year.
I was a goalie for a bit at Jack’s practice tonight, something I never
would have done in the past (unless goalie = immobile object). And I've joined a taskforce for our school
district, those monthly meetings also start in September.
Interestingly, I've been asked to join the UW patient
advisory board and I haven’t even answered them. And while procrastination is my middle name,
I think the reason I haven’t responded is something I’m only just figuring out:
I don’t want to be affiliated with “sick Kim” anymore. I was so good at being that person – I ran a
support group, I spoke to groups in other states, I went to conferences, I
counseled other patients with Pulmonary Hypertension. I used my handicapped placard when needed, I tucked my IV
pump into my pocket and went to special events, and I planned my entire days
around meetings (and sometimes the days before and after). I emailed, phone called and texted with
fellow PH friends. I loved being part of
this community and giving my all to it and I see something health-related in my
future. But right now, I don’t want to
be that person. I want to work on being “Kim” and see how
she does in this wonderful world and with this bright future.
So now I move into 8+ months post-transplant. I have a transplant clinic appointment next
month – that will mark four months since I've seen the clinic doctors which is
pretty cool.
And I’m happy to report that not only did Jen and I
get time together on the lazy river, we did so with a “Jamaica Me Crazy”
rum-filled drink in hand. Not too
shabby.
Comments