Two Years Already!
I’m just over two years out from my double lung transplant
now and yesterday I had my regular series of tests and appointments at the UW
Lung Transplant Clinic. My blood work looks good (we’re mostly looking for high
creatinine levels in my kidneys, an unfortunate side effect of my immunosuppressant
medications, and can be a sign of rejection). My lung function test (where I blast a breath into a machine and
squeeze it all out until my tummy hurts) was the highest it's ever been. Nothing
looks weird in my chest X-ray and overall, things are great.
I do have to keep an eye on my bone density levels –
another common occurrence post-transplant is bone loss/osteopenia due to the
high amounts of Prednisone given to me in the hospital (I went home on 70 mg of
Prednisone a day; today, I take 5 mg and will take that for the rest of my
life). The hope is that with all the calcium, vitamin D and magnesium oxide I
take every day, the osteopenia that has shown up in my hips will stabilize or
even improve.
The other interesting-bordering-on-gross thing is that
the wire used to close up my sternum is starting to protrude! It’s a bump right
in the middle of my chest and sometimes it’s sore. I talked to my wonderful
post-transplant doctor, Erika Lease, MD, about this and it’s not uncommon for a
body to try to expel the wire and if it becomes too uncomfortable, it’s a minor
surgery (day procedure by Dr. Mulligan) to remove it. That sounds almost as
yucky as living with the bump so I’ll play this one by ear.
The plan from here on out is to take my twice daily
medications, be better about checking my lung function at home (I promise, mom!), keep on top of
my dermatology appointments (I’m at a high risk for various skin cancers), eye appointments (I’m at an increased risk for glaucoma), annual exams (really,
I’m at an increased risk for all sorts of nasty stuff). I’ll still wear a mask
when I’m on an airplane and “as needed.” I will always have monthly blood labs
done and every four months, I’ll head into the UW Transplant Clinic for my checkups.
And I’ll continue to participate in the UW Lung
Transplant Support Group. The group meets monthly at UW and at least 40 people
show up each month, sometimes many more, depending on the speaker. The group
also has a wonderfully supportive and warm private Facebook page (moderated by the gentle and kind Chloe, who received her lungs right around when I did so we'd see each other at UW all the darn time). We are pretty evenly divided between those who have received lungs (single or double),
caregivers, and those who are pre-transplant (on the lung transplant waiting
list or waiting to be listed). The first year after my surgery, I hardly went
to the group – I wanted as few reminders as possible of Sick Kim, especially
while I was struggling with the lack of muscle, fatigue, side effects,
migraines, etc. But now that I’m feeling healthier than I have in a decade, I’m
ready to recognize Sick Kim’s role in my past and know that despite the daily
reminders of my disease, I’m stable and life is good.
It’s through this group that I've been continually inspired
and reminded of how grateful I am to be where I am today. In the middle of
rushing from one test to another yesterday, I almost literally ran into a
friend I've bonded with through this group. His husband has been on the waiting
list for a while and when I saw him, he said they had been there since late the
night before and he had just moments ago said goodbye as his husband was being wheeled into
the operating room for his new lungs! It makes my eyes tear up and gives me goose
bumps to think of this new life they have ahead of them but I also get a pit in
my stomach when I think of my 41 days in the hospital and how goddamn difficult
they were. And I know that my experience wasn't what most others had and that
now I can say it was worth it but whew, it stresses me out to recall some of
those memories. But again, I'd do it all over to be where I am today.
Here’s to their new life and a happy 2015 to all!
Comments