You're Frickin' HILARIOUS, Universe


Apparently, karma got gypped with last week's lung transplant dry run and thought I should have a new scar, somehow.

About 4 in the morning, I woke up and, after tossing and turning for a while, went out the couch to see if I could grab another couple hours of shut eye.  When I awoke a little before 7am, I had to go to the bathroom and did my version of "racing" to the bathroom.  Bad move when you're short of breath all the time.  Next thing I knew, I'm on the floor of my bedroom, Scot's on the phone, and talking pretty serious-like about me.  Yup, for the first time ever (which is a rarity for someone with Pulmonary Hypertension; syncope is one of the initial symptoms in many folks), I passed out and took it on the chin.

As many of you know, any wounds to the head bleed like crazy so my heart aches for Scot: the crash woke him up and as he got up to go to figure out what was going on, he finds me unconscious on the floor in a puddle of blood.  I can't imagine that wave of emotion, pretty horrific.

With Scot's help, I sit up and -- finally -- get to the bathroom (was a morning potty really too much to ask?) and then sat on the bed with a towel to my face while we heard the sirens in the distance drawing closer and closer.  Enter 5 super nice guys (and it was super fashionable of me to coordinate the red blood caking in my hair with my Christmas jammies!) who did all the vitals and poking and bandaging and determined that the extent of my hospital-requiring injuries was the gash in my chin.

Went to Evergreen ER where they were fantastic.  Had CT scan to make sure there were no brain bleeds (especially because I'm on blood thinners), got stitched up, a prescription for antibiotics just in case any germs got into my open wound and we were on our way home around 10am.

All told, the damage from this morning includes:
* 8 stitches in my chin
* A broken into little pieces wrapping paper storage box I apparently took out on my way down
* A couple of chips off of one of my back molars (I spit out the little chips but there doesn't seem to be a big split or more than one tooth...will call dentist sometime soon)
* Bruises and bumps that keep showing up as the day progresses
* Increasing soreness everywhere, including my jaw which precludes most talking and chewing

So man, it's been quite a week.  All I can say is that I had better not get a call for lungs until after Christmas, I'm not sure I could handle that anxiety right now.

Oh, and don't expect holiday cards anytime soon -- some things just gotta give!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good thing you have a hard head! So glad to hear you are ok! Sounds super traumatic. Poor Scot! Please hug each other for me! Ellen
Michael said…
Yikes! Sorry to hear this Kim. Hugs to all! Except for the storage box and the floor. Hope you're feeling better.
lester
Ginger Drago said…
Get well soon! No more face plants please. Love to all of you. Merry Everything. G