It's time to chronicle the upcoming events...

There's a lot going on right now.  Five years ago, out of the blue, I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Hypertension, a rare, progressive and incurable lung disease.  3 1/2 years ago, I left my career in government, went on disability and added the most intense drug therapy to help combat it, an IV-administered medicine called Remodulin (and if you go to that link, you can even see a picture or two of me!).  I've spent these past few years focusing on my health and my family.  Unfortunately, the "progressive" part of PH has kept up and this past June, I was told it was time to start the evaluation process for a double-lung transplant.

I want to make sure I keep my loved ones informed about this process so I thought this blog might give me a place to chronicle everything from quick updates to delving into the more complex issues this brings up.

Things move into high gear this week, though I've already met with the head of UW's lung transplantation team, had my first round of blood draw (18 vials of blood!) and I had my right heart catheterization.  My immediate appointments are as follows (all are at or near the University of Washington):
Wednesday -- Bone Density test, blood draw, Hep B injection, start 24-hour urine collection, meet with social worker.
Thursday -- begin 24 pH study, Lung Transplant Education Class
Friday -- Esophagram test, Pulmonary function tests.

Then Monday, October 17 will be my last day of appointments and will include meeting with Dr. Edelman, head of transplantation; meeting with the nutritionist and then Dr. Mulligan, the transplant surgeon.

Thankfully, my mom is flying up on Tuesday to help with things and also join me and Scot at the appointments that my caregivers need to be at (social worker and the class).

Time to post this and see if it works! 

--- Kim

Comments

Allison said…
Love it! Thank you for making this.
Dana Hush said…
Perfect way to keep us all informed without exhausting you in the process...thanks, Kim!
Christine King said…
Such a great idea, and excellently introduced! It's almost as if you are an expert communicator? Looking forward to any updates. Now I'm gonna go click on some links!
Ginger Drago said…
You are always in my prayers. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Love you, Ginger AKA Binky
Kim, this is a great resource for all of us so we can keep up with your progress and send our support and love. Thinking of you and sending a big hug and kiss your way.
Anonymous said…
Love
Anonymous said…
I am having trouble posting. So....I am anonymous but really your mom. I will see if this works.
jpi said…
You should have been a graphic designer : ) Love you Keem!
Sara said…
Hee hee, your doctor is named "Mulligan" and you're getting a do-over :) I miss you, thank you for keeping me in the loop.
Myrna said…
Such a good idea, my sweet DIL. you are all so much on my mind and in my heart. I will try to post this properly
Anonymous said…
Thoughts are with you. -Chaz
Mom said…
Good morning, honey. I am trying to post again.
Krista Parker said…
We are with you 100%!! To your "anonymous" mom, if she needs anyone to pick up mail or check in on her house here while she's up there with you -we can totally do it - we are right here in Dana Farms! Feel free to pass on my contact info to your mom - or send me her email and I will contact her! - Krista Parker
Dad said…
Kimbers,
My test post, and I'll just repeat for the third time, this is a great idea, and you're a great daughter! You also know how loved and supported you are.
Krista Parker said…
Hang in there! Hugs, Krista
Kari said…
Wow, as if two kids wasn't busy enough!! On a side note, very cool that Remodulin used real patients for ad, and you look beautiful in the photos.
Kennie said…
Kim, Let me know if you need an extra to take some classes to be on standby. You are in my thoughts always and I will do anything, day or night.

Love you,

Kennie
Cari said…
Just saw this and I am catching up. Love, kisses and prayers that you keep your sanity through all this.